California State University International Program Florence
FIELD TRIP GUIDELINES
Villa Adriana, Napoli, Paestum, Pompei, Ercolano
• Field Trip is Friday-Monday, March 15 - 18. You will receive your copy of the final itinerary on the bus the morning of departure. Until then, see the copy posted on the field trip bulletin board or the web site.
FIELD TRIP BRIEFING
• The Field Trip Briefing will be on Monday, March 11, at 12:30 in Aula Magna .
• Please do sign up for BUS A for BUS B by Tuesday March 12, at 4:30p.m.. The sign up sheets have been posted on the Field Trip Bulletin Board.
• To make roll-call and head counts easier, please always stay on the same bus. This will also help when arriving at our destination; your belongings will be on the bus you started out in.
• The Alterini bus will be in front of school Friday morning at 7:45 a.m..
Pit stop is tbA so use the facilities here at school.
This is a trip in which group reservations are necessary. If you are not there when the group enters a site like Pompeii, you will have to pay to get in on your own. Likewise if you lose your Campania Card, you will have to pay your own way.
Hotel Rooming List
• Sign up for a hotel room no later than Thursday, March 7 by 4:30p.m. please. The sign up sheets have been posted on the Field Trip Bulletin Board.
• The NH Hotel Ambassador is a 4 star with a spectacular view of the Bay of Naples. Room sign up sheets have been posted. Deadline is March 7. Don't delay to select your roommates. Please respect the atmosphere and other clients at the hotel. Breakfast will be served in the dining room here.
• Be prepared for changing weather: cloudy, cold, or hot with some rain on in Naples. Temps between 15 and 20° C. Slight adjustments to itinerary may be necessary according to weather conditions.
• Our dinner banquet in Napoli is pre-paid.
Please bring enough money for other meals and optional activities you plan. Please bring enough money also to pay for alternative transportation in case you miss the bus!! The train system around Napoli is called Circumvesuviana, because it goes around the volcano Vesuvius. If you miss the bus, or do something on your own you can find your way back. You can also go into Naples and back using this train from most places in the area.
Change in plans
• If you make other plans at any time during the scheduled activities, let us know. See your copy of the itinerary for staff cell phones. Keep your itinerary with you at all times please.
Food and drink
• Vegetarians and vegans sign up on list posted on bulletin board and make yourselves known to the waiters. A GREEN TABLE TENT WILL BE PROVIDED SO WAITERS KNOW HOW TO FIND YOU. Special arrangements will be made for you.
• Water and soft drinks are included at dinner. No bottles of wine are to be brought into restaurants. Smoking allowed only outside the restaurants.
• Alterini Bus Co. allows only water on the bus. This means please no eating. Please remove your own garbage so the driver doesn’t have to clean up after you.
Food and Drink
• Friday dinner has been arranged and paid for you. Pizza Margherita was invented in Campania. After the unification of Italy in the nineteenth century, Queen Margherita dined in Naples. Her favorite pizza was tomato sauce and mozzarella and the chef at Pizzeria Brandi (www.brandi.it) added a basil leaf. The red, white and green color combination was reminiscent of the Italian "tricolore" (flag) so the pizza was named after Queen Margherita. Buon appetite! Remember, Neopolitan pizza is thick, different from the thin crust you get in Florence and back in the U.S. To save money, remember to plan ahead: bring snacks. There will be a mid-morning stop at an autogrill and a picnic lunch (bring it from home) on Friday at Hadrian's Villa (weather permitting) after the guided tour. You will be able to taste the fresh local mozzarella di bufala at the bars in Paestum on Saturday. The water buffaloes that produce the milk for this cheese are raised in the area near Paestum in Battipaglia and Eboli. Experiment with some of the local specialties. The local lemon crop inspires limoncello and a dessert known as “profiteroles al limone.”Other
• This is a pre-paid all school field trip. PLEASE respect the time table. All students enrolled are required to attend. All services have been contracted for and must be paid. No substitutions allowed. Reimbursements (at the end of the school year) only for documented medical reasons.
• Your bus and restaurant behavior is expected to be courteous.
• Proper dress code to get into any church is a must. No strapless dresses or sleeveless tops for women, please no shorts, guys.
• For guests, the cost is €380. If you plan on bringing a guest, you must sign up, fill in the liability form and pay Jane for the guest no later than March 8. Sorry no credit card or check. No student may give up his or her spot so that a guest may attend without paying. All students enrolled are required to attend. All services have been contracted for and must be paid. Reimbursements (at the end of the school year) only for documented medical reasons.
• Pay attention to announcements on bus. Changes to itinerary may be made at last minute.
• Be careful of your purses, wallets, bags, cameras and other belongings at all times and everywhere.
HINT: We always travel on a tight schedule... and so that we arrive on time for museum opening appointments, specially arranged visits, meals, etc. it will be essential to be on time for departures. As a rule of thumb, plan on getting back on the bus 10 minutes before departure. Thanks!
*** Times, dates and destinations are subject to change***